Information for clients
Clients of the Pro Bono Program
If you are seeking legal assistance, you should contact Legal Aid of Western Michigan through the intake number for your county. You can find that information on the How and Where to Get Help page.
The Pro Bono Program will place cases ONLY after:
- Eligibility has been determined using Legal Aid's financial eligibility and case acceptance guidelines;
- An attorney has interviewed you and accepted the case; and
- The attorney at Legal Aid or the CALL Center has referred the case to the Pro Bono Program.
If you already contacted Legal Aid or CALL and have been turned down for assistance by Legal Aid, the Pro Bono Program CANNOT assist you.
If your case is accepted by the Pro Bono Program
- Our Pro Bono staff will try to match your case with an attorney who has agreed to handle that type of case and will send you to an attorney with the experience and expertise needed to help you.
- We will send the volunteer attorney the information from your file.
- We will also notify you by letter that your case has been placed and tells you how to contact the attorney.
- IT IS UP TO YOU TO CONTACT THE ATTORNEY TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT.
- You also must keep us informed of any change of address or phone number so that we can contact you.
If you experience any problems contacting or dealing with your pro bono attorney, please contact the Pro Bono Program staff.